My beautiful, amazing, and sweet Grandma Clara Dodge passed away on Tuesday, June 9th. She was 93 years old and in great health for her age. She tripped on a step on May 18th and cut her mouth, broke some teeth, and hurt some fingers and her wrist. Then, on June 1st she went into the hospital because she wasn't feeling well. Her heart beat was really low, so they decided to put in a pacemaker. She had surgery on Wednesday, June 3rd and then that night she suffered from a severe stroke that caused her to be paralyzed on her left side.
The outpouring of love from our Dodge family was so amazing! I don't think the hospital was prepared for that many visitors. Oh, how happy I am that I was able to live close enough to visit with Grandma & Grandpa Dodge on a few occasions while she was in the hospital. I got to sit at her side, hold her sweet fragile hand and rub her warm arm. I was able to feel her squeeze my hand and talk to her and tell her how I loved her. When it was time for me to go she opened her eyes, looked right into mine, squeezed my hand and said I love you. A few days later she became unresponsive and had an additional stroke.
We were able to visit her again on Sunday night. Justin and my girls were able to all come. The girls both brought roses for Grandma because she loves roses. Grandma was in a coma, so I told the girls she was asleep, but that she could still hear them and feel their touch. After I talked to Grandma for a little bit, Taylor said she wanted to talk to her and hold her hand. So both Taylor and Brooklyn told Grandma they loved her. Even though I am not sure if they will ever remember it, I was so glad that they were able to tell her they loved her one more time.
On Monday, they brought her home from the hospital so she could be comfortable and at peace in her home. Tuesday morning, June 9th, after Aunt Linda had done her hair, Grandpa Dodge went in to be with her. Just after Grandpa left she peacefully took her last breath in this world.
Over the past week I have constantly been thinking of my amazing Grandma Dodge. When I've been up late with Paityn, I have been reading her autobiography and thinking of the wonderful memories I have of her. I was always excited to that I could explain my blond hair and blue eyes...thanks to my Danish grandma (I really wasn't adopted)!
I was talking to a friend about my Grandma and after just a minute or so of talking about her, my friend said, Wow...I want to go to her funeral. She was an amazing lady! Her testimony of the church was never shaken and instead was a source of strength to all who knew her. She served two missions, one in Canada where she met Grandpa "Smiler" and one with Grandpa in Mississippi. She would to to the temple and do endowment work 2 or 3 times a week...doing multiple sessions each time! At 93 years old! Grandpa said she averaged that amount for probably the last 20 years or so.
I will always admire her relationship with Grandpa. They are the ultimate sweethearts. I was fortunate enough to live with them for about 1 1/2 years and I saw first hand how loving and respectful they were to each other. I love their nicknames for one another, "Ikey" and "Smiler" and how they use them interchangeably with their real names. They prayed together every night and would often read out loud to each other.
Little things I will always remember about Grandma:
- Her love for the temple and the gospel
- Her ability to love
- Her great hugs and smile
- Her love for her parents and ancestry
- The Christmas Story plays she had us grandkids put on every Christmas
- How she always remembered our birthdays and anniversaries and sent the best cards.
- She was not judgemental of others
- How she taught me how to make her famous Lemon Meringue Pie
- How active she was. She would wake up and exercise early in the morning. Her and Grandpa even took a ride on the banana tube at Lake Powell in their 80's!
- How even though my kids were crazy, hyper and not always affectionate when we came to visit, she always requested that we come back again soon. She would say I need to see these girls more so that we can get to know each other better.
There is so much that I could write, but I will stop for now. I love you Grandma! Thank you for your incredible example, spirit and legacy. Thank you for your constant love. Thank you for loving my girls...they love you! Thank you for being you. So goodbye for now...my sweet Danish Grandma Dodge.
6 comments:
I loved reading your thoughts, thanks for sharing them.
She was an amazing woman, wasn't she? I really enjoyed her funeral, hearing all of the fun stories, and ways she touched others lives for good. I took away a few things that I am going to work on to be more like her, and at the same time, a better person. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings. I enjoyed reading them.
what a great post and tribute to your Grandma! Thanks for sharing them!
I was so inspired hearing so many things about your grandma's life at her funeral today. We loved being able to get to know her and your grandpa a little bit and, even though we didn't spend a lot of time in their company, they are the type of people who you just automatically love as soon as you meet them. She is surely a wonderful person to try to pattern our lives after. Our prayers are with you and your family.
That was really sweet. I didn't know that she passed away. She sounds like an incredible woman...the type that you always want to emulate. I don't even know her but I know I'd like to be more like her because of what you've written.
What a beautiful tribute for an incredible woman. I am so sorry you had to say goodbye for now. I am glad that you were able to live close during such a special time and were able have such a sweet relationship with her and to be able to say goodbye. I love you Kimberly!
Post a Comment