The day finally came. She got up so excited and full of energy and got ready before even coming out of her room. We ate breakfast, did her hair, got her snack and backpack all ready and then we waited, and waited, and waited, and waited some more. We always had morning preschool, so having to WAIT for afternoon preschool was torture for her excited little body!
Finally, it was time to leave. I wondered how I would react as I thought of my oldest child going off into the big world of Elementary School. I had heard lots of parents cry and have a hard time letting them go. How will I feel?
We got to school and Taylor was so excited to see her friends and start school! After snapping a few pictures and hugging her goodbye the teacher came out and they all lined up and went into the school.
My reaction? I was fine. Is that bad? Is there something wrong with me that I wasn't all emotional? I mean it really isn't that much longer than preschool was and so we are kind-of already used to her being gone for part of the day.
The main feeling that I did have was that of questioning my influence on her so far in her life. I heard once that as parents you only have until your kids are 5 years old when you will be the most influential person in their lives. Have I taught her enough about kindness and friendship? Have I loved her enough that she will have a good self esteem and confidence? Lots of questions, lots of doubt...but still lots of hope. I still have time to be a positive influence, even if others have some influence too.
So, after spending awhile in deep thought, it is about time to go pick Taylor up and find out all about her big first day. I am really excited and imagine her running up to me, giving me a hug and talking 100 miles an hour about all the fun things that they did. As she comes out and sees me she goes into total meltdown mode (right in front of her new teacher). She tells me I am the meanest Mommy in the whole world and is crying out of control. I'm naturally embarrassed and finally calm her down enough to figure out what on earth I did SO wrong. It turns out that Taylor REALLY wanted to ride the bus and thought that I was being a mean Mommy and not allowing her to ride the bus. I tried to explain the bus situation the best that I could, but Taylor was still not satisfied and decided that she needed to ride home with her friends Mom instead of me because, "going in someone else's car is kind-of like riding the bus." SO...I drove back home without Taylor telling me all about her first day.
BTW, she did love her first day...it was just bus situation on her way out of school that made things take a turn in the wrong direction!
Ready to go!!
1 comment:
It's hard to believe that she's that old already. Seems like it was just yesterday that I was sending her daddy off to school. Unfortunately, I was one of "those" moms who had a hard time seeing him go. Of course, he was still just 4 years old though! Does that count for anything?;-)
Post a Comment