Well, I can't believe that it has already come and now gone! The Boston Marathon that is. Since my very first marathon back in '99 I have thought about running the Boston Marathon. Once you get into the sport of marathon running...you can't help but think about it. One of the first questions people ask after you have run a marathon is, "Did you qualify?" They don't even have to explain...everyone knows they are referring to the Boston Marathon.
Maybe it is because it is the only marathon, I am aware of, that you have to have a qualifying time in order to just sign up! Or the fact, that it is the oldest and most prestigious marathon in American history. What ever the reason...I just wanted to actually run it. I didn't quality my first marathon, which was OK with me because I ran my first to have the experience of finishing a marathon. I wanted to enjoy the experience, be proud of my accomplishment and not feel the pressure or disappointment if I didn't get a certain time (I didn't even wear a watch--unheard of for most runners). But, I still only missed the mark by 6 meager minutes!! Aghh! So, as someone told me after my first marathon...it was addicting...and I could feel that that addiction had taken a hold of me. I wanted to qualify.
Well, I am happy to say that since my first marathon, I have qualified in every marathon I have run since. But Justin and I decided we wanted to run Boston together...which means that we would both have to qualify within the same year. (Justin has to run an insane time to qualify...it is a little easier for the females!) We did it in June '03 and we were excited to be able to go together the following April. But, happily, we also found out I was prego with Taylor.
So...now after 5 marathons each & 5 years after we first both first qualified together, we were able to run the 112th Boston Marathon together. And once again, (the first time since my first marathon) we did it for the experience. 
We went out early to enjoy the weekend in Boston before the big race on Monday. Tara (Justin's little sister) had qualified for Boston in her 1st marathon ever...and so she came out also, so we could all run it together! (She is so fun, I am glad she was there with us!) It was such a fun weekend and even more just a great experience. We were able to do a little Boston sight seeing and we even survived the HUGE expo. {Honestly, it was a little much...too many (crazy) runners in one place... :)I was close to having a little panic attack}. 
The race itself was so much fun! Tara mentioned that it was the funnest race she had ever run...and I have to agree. The weather was supposed to be cold, but it warmed up right at the start. There were 25,000 runners and the roads ahead of us and behind us were packed with people the whole race...I have never seen anything like it.
We were told that there were over 1 Million spectators lining the course...and I wouldn't be surprised if there were more! People lined the course the ENTIRE 26.2 miles!! We had written our names on our clothes and arms, so people would shout out our names in encouragement, which made it fun. They pronounced Tara's name funny though!!! That made us laugh! We were giving high fives to the crowds throughout the whole race. There were all these cute little towns that we ran through and past lots of college students from Boston College and other schools. The course itself was a little tougher than I had thought. The main hill "Heartbreak Hill" wasn't really much of anything...but there were rolling hills almost the entire way. So, besides a little runners sickness---it was a great race. We were excited to finish and make the training all winter (mostly on a treadmill...thanks to all the snow) worth it! GO BOSTON!
9 comments:
I'm sure this sounds totally lame but I really am so proud of you guys. I was thinking about you all weekend long and then all morning while you were running! And I love your other posts- YW Spa and the one of your girls. As I always say, they are so cute and constantly surprise me with how big they are getting- it really is true! We can't wait to see you guys in 1 week from today! Congrats again for the marathon- you inspire me!
Yay for you! What an inspiration you are! I am totally motivated now to run another marathon, plus it will help me lose the baby weight. Have you ever run a marathon in D.C.? Maybe you'll have to join me. :) Way to achieve your dream, I am so proud of you!
Congratulations Guys! That's so great! Kim I'm so impressed you've qualified for Boston in all but your 1st marathon! You are AMAZING! So really- what is qualifying time and what did you run the Boston in? I'm so excited with you and hope one day to be able to do the same!
You are amazing! I really admire all the time and effort it takes to train and prepare, especially when being a wife and mother. You inspire me to be more active and healthy. I loved your post about your girls. They are getting so big. In the quick time I pick up from preschool I'm always surprised how big Taylor seems. She is really grown up. What happened to our little toddlers?!?
Congratulations! How exciting for both of you to be able to do it together! It's so great in these crazy parenthood days when you can find time to do something together that you both really enjoy! I'm so proud, but not surprised, of you for being so determined and accomplishing your dream! You are an inspiration! Good job!
Thanks Kim...
We are doing well, im sure the girl would love to com e and play! Call me:)
You guys are amazing. Bret's been asking for years now to do a marathon and I just can't bring myself to do it. You've inspired me!
Ashley
You guys are amazing... I can't even imagine doing something like that... it would kill me. Congratulations on such a huge accomplishment!
Hey Kim,
I found you through Steph's blog. You guys are amazing, you both qualified to run THE SAME YEAR. It sounds like a great time, congratulations on running THE Boston Marathon.
I love reading about your darling girls~
Post a Comment