Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The frogs and toads that just won't go away!!!

Our sweet little neighborhood kids love to play in the woods and fields by all our homes. Lately, the fields and little ravine across from our house by the bridge seems to be a popular place for the little boys to catch toads and frogs.
The other day, my friend Heather's son showed me a big box of all the frogs and toads he had found and also told me of a snake he caught. (He also informed me if I ever find anymore snakes to make sure to call him and he will come get it for me!) I told him how great it was that he had caught all those frogs! My girls loved looking at them as I continued to remind them that we were just looking at them and not taking any of them home.
I guess I showed a little too much interest in the frogs because a few days later, this cute kids shows up at our door with a friend. He excitedly shows me and my girls a plastic container that he has with a few frogs in it. Then, he tells us that they are giving away toads for FREE!!! (He informed me that if was "like a bull frog or something he would probably charge me like $50 bucks...but these ones are free." My girls are now REALLY excited. Trying to think quickly, (remember LFGJ from an earlier post and the drama it caused in our house)I turned him away telling him that it is so nice of him but we don't have anything to keep it in.
About 1/2 an hour later, the doorbell rings again! (Oh no...I think to myself). My girls proceed to run answer the door and this cute kid is there again with a HUGE smile on his face. I have a free frog for you AND it even comes with a container to keep it in (an old discarded water bottle)!!! What can I do??
So, we keep it. I did however warn my girls that we were just going to keep it for the day and then we would put him back in nature that night. It was a cute little frog and much bigger than the first one we had.
(Unfortunately, I put it in a big open container with some water in the bottom and put it on the deck. We went swimming for a few hours and when I came home he wasn't so big anymore...it had been a hot afternoon and all the water evaporated...and the little frog was no more! (Don't tell the neighbor boy. I felt awful).

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

That is hilarious! I'm sure my Alex was somehow involved... we've been collecting them ourselves... and I did see the frog in a bottle!